Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Two gotchas of the day

Okay, these are really from yesterday, but my head still hurts from banging it against the wall.

Gotcha number 1: Skype interferes with Apache. Or actually interferes with port 80. I was trying to evaluate TestLink 1.8, so I set up XAMPP on my computer and wondered why Apache would not start. Skype blocks port 80. Note to self: turn off Skype! You'll be more productive!

Gotcha number 2: a bad interpreter error on Linux usually means the end of line characters are messed up on the script. And in this case it is IBM that messed up the installation of their pznload.sh script. Nothing a little simple dos2unix can't fix, but I still pondered the meaning of this error for a good 20 minutes. Sigh.

3 comments:

DJCaustin said...

that's weird that Skype would use port 80 for voice traffic. I would think that would cause a lot of complaints. good to know.
Dan

Unknown said...

could you help? we are trying to use the pznload.sh on 6.0.1.3 but am faced with the following error: "The publish job could not be completed: Could not load data into the content repository."

This is the command that we are executing: ./pznload.sh --targetPath /DPortal --username username --password password --serverUrl http://wcmauth1:10088/wps/pznpublish/pznpublishtarget --targetWorkspace RULESWORKSPACE DP_Announcements.20081217-1509.nodes

any thoughts?

thanks,
-markus

Cynthia Sadler said...

I think I have seen this before, and if I recall correctly, the permissions on that script weren't set to be executable. So, try checking your permissions, maybe that is the problem.