Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to uninstall Subversion on Mac OS X

I ran into this problem today where I was trying to uninstall Subversion 1.6 so I could install 1.5 instead. So, according to the instructions, you only need to delete the /opt/subversion directory and all of the sym links in /usr/local/bin that point to /opt/subversion. After doing this I tried to run the Subversion 1.5 installer and kept getting this message:

You cannot install Subversion 1.5.4 on this volume

The way to solve this problem is to delete Subversion-1.6.1.pkg from /Library/Receipts. Then I was able to run the Subversion 1.5 installer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This probably just saved me hours of pain, thanks!

Ted Hopp said...

Don't forget to remove the .plist file from /Library/LaunchDaemons (or whatever other method you used) if you set up svnserve to run at startup. Also clean up any path and manpath changes that might have been done.